Thursday, December 07, 2006

Bat out of Hell

Today

Last night, having done about half of the Christmas Cards, Paul & I settled down to watch "Love Actually" Great film - I always feel that, if the Americans had got hold of it, it would have been sugary, but with Richard Curtis there's always an element of the ironic, sad or even bitter.

Quite a lot of the film was devoted to showing people running towards their love in a variety of ways, from the little boy living out a fantasy in the airport to the more sedate journey made by the PM.

In My Day

I first met Paul at a party and we had a couple of dates following that. I can't say that they set off fireworks for me. On one occasion I even tried to end it but Paul pleaded so much that I agreed to another meeting. (Well, he had spent a good deal of that occasion talking to an ex-girlfriend!).

Paul had just joined the Sussex police and about 3 weeks after we met, had to go to Sandgate for his training. "I'll see you on Friday" were his parting words.

He wrote me a light-hearted letter during the week, describing the horrors of life at a police training centre. Otherwise life went on as usual.

On the Friday, I came home from college, had a bite to eat, changed. 7.00 pm - no phone call, 7.30 pm - no phone call, 8.00 pm - no phone call. "Never mind, Julia," I told myself, "Pleasant enough while it lasted but no big deal."

I decided to wash my hair, which was very long and straight in studenty fashion. About 8.30 pm, just wrapped the towel around when the phone rang. It was Paul. "So sorry I didn't call sooner, the traffic was grim - I didn't get home till after 7.00 and Mum had cooked a big meal etc etc. Would you like to meet in town?"

Would I!! I bunged on my coat and ran all the way into town. It was downhill, about a mile and a half and the temperature was freezing. By the time I met Paul I actually had icicles in my hair.

We walked along the seafront, talking and talking and the rest, as they say, is history.

What the people in the film discover is that you should never let false pride get in the way of finding your love - and I would agree.

No comments: