Sunday, November 08, 2009

9 lives

Today

I'm not quite sure what to do. We haven't see Abby for a week. Some neighbours say they think they've seen her in the Close, but don't seem sure. I call her during the day and at supper time; hoping to see her little black shape careering towards me like a cannonball.

We've put some leaflets into various doors in the Close and hope this might turn up something.

Is she alive or dead? I don't know. I really hope that she's tucked herself up somewhere away from the hated kitties. But I feel angry to think that someone might have stolen my lovely Abby. And she's not young, Last year she suffered such a serious injury; if we hadn't got to her she would have died. It would be awful to think of that happening again.

In My Day

When Arietty was about two and a half years old she disappeared. We called and called and called. Left notes stuck to lampposts and in the shop as well as letting all our neighbours know. It was early December; most cats don't much like the cold and where there's a good fire and plenty of food they're unlikely to go far. She was only little and a real cutie; how could she survive? Days became weeks and we realised with great sadness that we would never see her again.

About a week before Christmas we popped up to Eastbourne as usual to see relatives and collect Mum to bring her back for the festivities. We'd made all the usual family visits and were just packing Mum up to go when there was a phone call. It was my neighbour, Carolyn. "I've a Christmas present for you," she said. I just knew what she was going to say. "I've got Arietty here and I've shut her in the dining room till you get back." I was overjoyed; no Christmas present could be better.

We flew home on wings of happiness to find Arietty, thin but just fine. Apparently she'd been found in a neighbour's shed - during the winter I suppose we don't go to our sheds that often. It was only when said neighbour put the dead body of their beloved chicken in the shed to await burial that Arietty was found. I believe she helped herself to a bit of the chicken!

I so long for a similar result. Abby, I miss you so much - please come home.

No comments: